Sonning Mill House
Georgian Splendour for Prosperous Millers
Mill House - previously known as Aberlash House - at Sonning is a Grade II
listed building, built in the 17th Century. It was, however, largely
remodelled early the following century, with the addition of a handsome
Georgian facade. At this time, the house, along with the adjoining mill,
was owned by the well-known Rich family, Lords of the Manor of Sonning.
Some of the family may have lived there, for the miller, Robert Woodroffe,
is thought to have inhabited the house in the village later known as 'The
Some of the family may have lived there, for the miller, Robert Woodroffe, is thought to have inhabited the house in the village later known as 'The Rookery'.
1797, the mill-house became the residence of the new mill owner, Mr. Daniel
May. It was a fine home for this young gentleman and his rapidly expanding
family. From here, he ran a successful business comprising of both the
mill and a farm covering a hundred acres. Later, it was sold to the
renowned Witherington family who ran the mill and lived at the ten-bedroom
house, with six domestic servants, from 1852 to 1912. In the latter year,
the property was purchased by Godfrey, third son of Sir Walter Phillimore.
of Bath Stone under a tile roof with stone balustrading, the front
elevation of the house is of symmetrical proportions, with a square plan
entrance of paired Doric columns. The principal reception rooms are of
elegant proportions and of particular note is the drawing room. Centred on
an attractive marble fireplace, it has a magnificent half circular bow
window with views over the gardens and grounds to the River Thames beyond.
gardens and grounds provide a tranquil setting for the house, surrounded
by the River Thames, and studded with mature trees. In spring the grounds
include a spectacular display of spring bulbs, whilst a magnificent
Magnolia walk leads from the house towards the sluice.
|© David Nash Ford 2001. All Rights Reserved.|